Thursday, April 2, 2009

Direction


Things have been a little chaotic for me just lately...I've driven out to the airport to pick someone up or drop someone off three times in the past week.  And that's just the start.  My pretty pretty fence is up now, though.  And my cozy little horse shelter.  Now if we can just get a handle on the mud, I'll be set.

In between the other stuff, I've been thinking a lot about painting.  Not my watercolor paintings as those are really just drawings that have some color and texture from watercolors.  No, I've been thinking about oil painting.  Some of the big questions, too:  What exactly do I want to do here?  What is it about oils that I like?  So I've done a bit of painting to try and work some of this out.  It's important, but it makes for poor blogging.  This one, however, I kind of like.  

This was sort of an experiment in making a painting that's really all about the color and texture of the lines.  I love making brushy textures and blending away lines, then going back in with the color and pushing the line back and forth.  So I thought rather than make that secondary to a drawing of an actual thing, why not just make lines?  I'm not sure this is the direction I want to take, but there's definitely something here.
 

No comments: