Friday, April 16, 2010

Some digital collages today



I was in a digital mood, I guess. I scanned some things out of my lovely book I've been using lately and combined them with some scans out of an old magazine of my grandma's. She knitted me a toy rabbit when I was little and after she passed away I found the magazine she knitted it from, complete with handwritten notes to herself.

I like preserving this kind of thing so somebody else can see it. I have an old travel easel/paintbox of hers from...I don't know when. It's pretty old. My dad gave it to me and I kept it exactly as it was with all the old tubes of paint in it and it's on display in a cabinet. I would rather have things like that out where I can see them even though there's some sad memories there, too.

4 comments:

belinda marshall said...

i like these ~ especially the middle one.
strange seeing those little notes written to herself. so personal.
i've got some things of my mother's with her notes too ~ i see a very different side of her through them!

Janelle said...

I use a lot of things of my grandma's that I inherited - she was the other artist in the family. She had some nice watercolor brushes that I use all the time and I like feeling that they're being used and not just put away or thrown out.

freshlychopped said...

what a wonderful way to make use of her magazine! it's great to see this - we have so many things inherited from family that tend to just sit in a box. this makes it useful and puts it out there into the world rather than sitting in a box just for yourself.

Janelle said...

My parents tend to put most things away, so I'm always trying to see what I can get my hands on and use :) I have a glass fronted cabinet that has all sorts of things in it - pocket watches and bird nests and beach rocks. I don't know what I'll do if it actually gets completely full...