Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Another figure-related piece



Yikes, I finally have some more art to show you. Last week was a blur of head-cold blah but I can feel that the weather is starting to change so that usually means I can stop getting sick and actually have some energy again. I love watching all my plants starting to wake up and bud out in the spring and feel like I'm not in hibernation anymore :)

This is 11x14" on Fabriano hot press again. I like this paper mostly - it doesn't erase as cleanly as I would like and I've had two sheets that had a few little specks embedded in the paper. Not that it's a huge problem, but it's not the cheapest paper so I hate when it has flaws before I've even started. I'm really having fun playing with the opacity or watery-ness of the gouache in these. It has such an interesting flatness and texture.

I was trying to incorporate scissors in this without it looking too violent :) Something about those sharp objects make me think of knives which isn't really where I was trying to go here. I tried to take some photos actually cutting fabric and paper but they didn't really work out, so I thought I would try this slightly more abstract approach.

4 comments:

hollie said...

very nice! and not violent at all. it's actually very calming with the greens and if you hadn't mentioned it i would never have had even one ax-wielding-maniac thought. :p

i'm glad you're feeling better!

Janelle said...

Oh good! That's the kind of thing I tend to think of when I'm about 3/4 of the way finished with something and then I have this huge moment of doubt. Like "oh no, this was a bad idea," etc. I think it partly stems from being in school and having critique sessions in class when some of the students were education majors, for example. They would come up with some of the craziest things and now I always worry how something is going to come across.

belinda marshall said...

it's a strong image about the positive power of scissors as a tool for making/creating :)
not violent!
glad you are feeling better too xx

Janelle said...

Yay! Thanks!
It seems like everything I make starts with scissors - cutting down my huge pieces of paper, cutting out fabric, cutting up canvas. I think I have about 10 pairs of scissors stashed all over the house for doing different things :)