Monday, December 7, 2009

Oil painting




I made a couple more oil paintings last week and had to wait for them to dry to take pictures/scan them in. This one is 11x14" so it doesn't fit on my scanner and I had to try to take photos of it (!) I made a lightbox to try and eliminate the glare from the glossiness of the paint and I think it actually worked out pretty well. I mean, I still prefer using my scanner whenever possible, but that top photo is far and away the best picture I've ever gotten of one of my shinier oil paintings. The last photo is just to try to give an idea of the size and depth of the piece.

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. I wanted to try something a little looser and sketchier - more specifically I didn't keep blending and reworking past this stage like I usually do. Most of my paintings look similar to this at some point but lately I've been making them pretty smooth and uniform. This scribbly brushstroke look is something I was doing in school and I wanted to give it another try in conjunction with a more abstract subject.


2 comments:

freshlychopped said...

love this one- and the last photo looks fantastic!

June rhymes with moon said...

Thanks, Leah! I'm really, really not a photographer so I'm always happy when something actually turns out the way I intended.