Thursday, May 21, 2009

Paper - testing, testing...



I seem to have neglected my blog a little bit, haven't I?  I usually only remember to post something here when I've finished a piece that I like and I've been either just doing panel prep work to get some panel-mounted canvases ready to paint on or I've been messing around with watercolors as here.  So the things that I consider to be unsuccessful experiments take just as much time but never see the light of day.  

This one I kind of like, though.  I was mainly wanting to try out this paper that I inherited but hadn't used before (Arches hot press watercolor paper) so I didn't care too much if it worked or not.  I was looking out the window of my studio at the rain making plips (that's a word, right?) on the driveway and drew in the pencil lines.  The watercolor marks are kind of weird and I'm not sure how I feel about the grid-like texture of the paper when you get up really close to it.  But I do like how I can look at it and see the rain.

4 comments:

belinda marshall said...

i like it, you can definitely see the rain happening. i'm a sucker for the very smooth paper. . .

Janelle said...

Thanks a lot! I find it easier to transition into more abstract imagery if it still looks like something to me.

As far as smooth paper goes, I think some hot press watercolor papers are smoother and don't have that grid texture. I haven't bought watercolor paper in so long that I'd have to look at the art supply store again to see.

Actuali Design (Ali) said...

Wow, it's beautiful! It came out really stunning, and I love how you can so clearly see that it's rain, even in such an unnatural colour scheme. :)

Ooh, and the print that I purchased from you is now framed and sitting atop my fireplace! I love it.

Janelle said...

Thanks, Alison! And I'm glad to hear you're still happy with your print :)

Janelle