Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oil painting in progress


I stretched my canvas prints onto some stretcher bars and got on with some painting.  Here's two of the prints (I'll have to get some more stretcher bars to stretch the third).

Here's the start of the first painting.  I set up a tripod and took some video (right here) although I don't think my talents lie in the video realm.  I hope it might be either useful or sort of interesting...at least I've learned some things making it :)



These pictures show the details a little more clearly.  

I know that there's an infinite number of ways to paint, blend colors, and use your brushes, so I find it interesting to see how other people paint.  I have done the monochrome-underpainting-and-glazing-color thing, the create-3D-objects thing, the hide-your-brushstrokes thing, but now I'm into line drawings and color and lots of interesting brushstrokes, so this is how I do it.  My friend in my painting classes last year realized that all I'm doing with paint is what the Smudge tool in Photoshop does.

Some other random info:  
-I mix in a little Graham walnut alkyd medium to dry the paint relatively quickly--usually by the next day.  It's the only alkyd medium I use now since at the ripe old age of 28, I've gotten too sensitive to the nasty petroleum-chemical smells of other alkyd mediums.

-I use hog bristle brushes and scrub them until they turn into little blunt-ended stumps.  It's lucky they're so cheap (compared to say, watercolor brushes) because I'm pretty hard on them.

-This canvas is Epson water-resistant canvas, with a layer of acrylic matte medium brushed on to seal the ink in.

-I'm using transparent blender from Daniel Smith.  Normally, I use two colors (or more) but in this case, I want the print underneath to show through.

No comments: