Monday, January 26, 2009

Pimp my studio (or whatever the hip kids would say)

This weekend, I brought home a new (to me) flat file for my studio.  I've been wanting one for years--so many of my drawings and papers and mat boards have to be rolled or sandwiched in foam board and leaned against the wall that this is going to make a huge difference for the new studio.  

Picking it up was interesting...not because it was particularly difficult to move, but because the person selling it lived in one of those artist lofts that are almost a stereotype:  urban, downtown, ex-warehouse building, tall ceilings/windows, etc.  I felt kind of a weird freshman-among-seniors vibe (if that makes sense).  Like these people are all Real Artists because they live in Lofts in a Gritty Urban Area and they are Serious.  I can visit cities, but I don't want to live there.  I grew up wandering around in the woods and I need open space (and my horse who doubles as my therapist).  So the timing of this article (via Garden Rant) was fortunate.  Not that cities are necessarily bad, but I felt a little more justified in my decision to live and work where I do.

In other news, it snowed yesterday.  I'm annoyed that it snowed but considering that this is what it looked like in Spokane (below) around the time we left a few weeks ago, I think I can handle an inch.










No comments: