Thursday, May 20, 2010

And now it's dry




This is another one of those diagrams from my railroad book that I've mangled to suit my purposes :)

I mixed about 5 different greens before settling on this one but I'm not sure what to call it...pale mint? Sage green? It's a little too green to be sage green which I picture as being very gray. I hope the pencil lines show up a bit better now so you can see them wandering around.

I'll try to remember to take more in-progress shots next time I oil paint because I think it's interesting to look back and see what I put down and left alone and what I went back and blended out. I like the roughness of the line I put down at the start of the painting but I don't want all of them to be so dark. It's really hard for me not to want to blend everything out but I feel like when I do the painting loses some energy (although the oils I did last year are very peaceful looking because of this).

3 comments:

hollie said...

the varying opacity and shade of the lines are so wonderful. i am seriously envious of anyone with skill in oils! perfect green as well.

belinda marshall said...

it is a perfect green {there are a few perfect greens i think}, not too bright or grassy!
beautiful work :)

Janelle said...

Thanks, ladies! Hollie, I think oils are much easier than acrylics - so much time to change your mind! It's just hard to decide when to stop and not overwork it.