Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Obstacles

It's been a little difficult getting any actual finished artwork done around here lately. Mimi here is just one of the obstacles (this photo is looking down at my lap while sitting at my studio table). I'm still in a researching/sketching/researching/sketching phase and I still don't feel like I've hit on my next direction yet.

One of the things I learned at school was to have a deep and abiding fear of using the figure in my work. I'm not sure if that's just a random thing based on the professors I happened to work with or if everyone hears that while studying art. Anyway, part of me sort of thinks that the figure would be interesting...kind of gives anything a narrative quality, in my opinion. But I really don't like all the "pretty girl" art I see around the interwebs these days. And I'm not really good at doing any kind of caricaturing or stylizing in my drawings.

So that's my dilemma. Still working on it, and if I ever come up with anything I'm happy with, I'll be sure to let you all know :)

4 comments:

hollie said...

look at her! ^_^ they can be so distracting yet so soothing too.

good luck in your quest. you'll hit on something brilliant soon enough.

belinda marshall said...

i share your fear of the figure! i'm interested to see what comes next, and especially interested to see if you do include something figurative ~ hoping that you are enjoying your sketching time with your little friend.

Janelle said...

I think the cats (well, the two that are allowed in the studio because they don't destroy things) are a good excuse to keep things loose and not to get too stuck on one thing. And to look up once in a while and give my eyes a break! :)

Belinda, I'm glad it's not just me that's intimidated. And I actually like my figure drawings, it's just that I guess my profs didn't think people in your art was "serious" and "important" enough...or something. I'm not really sure, but it was always disapproval, anyway.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.