Friday, April 22, 2011

magnolias

I was recently contacted by somebody wanting to know if I do custom work. I don't, really, but she was interested in a magnolia drawing that she could have tattooed on her shoulder. I thought it sounded like an interesting project (and I do love the magnolias) so this is what we came up with. The drawing itself is about 5x7" and I think it's on an 8x10" sheet of paper. I haven't tried drawing this many things that small in years!

The bottom two flowers are the big southern evergreen magnolias from the tree at her house and the other two are from my smaller magnolias that drop their leaves. I like that it feels like a collaboration and has things that are meaningful in it. I humbly requested a photo of the finished tattoo so I'll post it when I get it. I just sent over the drawing a couple of days ago so it might not be right away, though.

Anyway, it was probably a good learning experience for me about doing custom work and commissions...not sure if I would do it again but I would at least know how to do it :)

2 comments:

belinda marshall said...

how exciting!
not a fan of tats, but this would look beautiful!
interesting re custom work . . . curious to know more about your experieces.
happy easter!

Cathy said...

I love magnolias as well. Reminds me of my childhood home.

It's a beautiful drawing! I would love to see the finished tattoo.

Custom work can be a bit tricky. Thanks for sharing your experience.